Pink Julep in the Kitchen: Hamburger Pie!

As y'all know, I love my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook! I recently tried out their recipe for Hamburge Pie and let me tell you... it's Heavenly!!! It's very similar to Shepherd's Pie so it was a super treat for Irish hubs as well! It's super simple to make and doesn't require a lot of time.

If you don't have a Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, it is definitely a must for anyone, but especially a Southern Girl!

Below is Hamburger Pie pictured as on the website:


Here's the recipe straight off the BHG website:

Ingredients
1 recipe Mashed Potatoes or one 24-ounce package refrigerated mashed potatoes
1-1/4 pounds lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
1/4 teaspoon salt
Dash black pepper
2-1/2 cups frozen cut green beans, thawed
1 10.75-ounce can condensed tomato soup
1/2 cup shredded process American cheese (2 ounces)

Directions
1. Prepare Mashed Potatoes*, if using; set aside. In a large skillet cook meat and onion until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain off fat. Add the salt and pepper. Stir in thawed beans and soup; pour into a greased 2-quart rectangular baking dish or casserole.

2. Spoon Mashed Potatoes in mounds on bean mixture (or, if desired, pipe potatoes using a pastry bag and a large star tip). Sprinkle cheese over the potatoes. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until mixture is bubbly and cheese begins to brown.

3. Makes 6 servings

*Three Mashed Potato Options: U1. Use four servings refrigerated mashed potatoes 2. Prepare 4 servings instant mashed potatoes according to package directions, except reserve the mil. Add egg and seaon to taste with salt and pepper. Add enough reserved milk so potatoes are stiff enough to hold their shape. 3. Make mashed potatoes using 5 medium potatoes.
PINK JULEP METHOD:
1. I don't like onions so I skipped them and substituted a generous amount of minced garlic instead.
2. I used lean ground turkey instead of beef to be a little more healthy.
3. I used Delmonte canned green beans and also added a can of corn - YUM!
4. I salted the heck out of this thing and peppered like crazy too! Pink Julep says Salt to taste or you might find it a little bland.
5. For the cheese, I found that Velveeta shred works really well!
6. I also added a generous sprinkling of onion powder since I don't like actual onions and it gave it a nice kick!
7. I made mine with real fresh mashed potatoes... I would recommend a little more than what's called for in their recipe, which is 2 oz of potatoes cooked and mashed. I'd go for 4 oz.
Happy cooking!
xoxo,
Pink Julep!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Save Pink Julep in the Kitchen: Hamburger Pie! on social network:

Subscribe To RSS

Sign up to receive latest news