Low-Fat Apple Coffee Cake: MAKE. THIS. NOW.

So after my cream puff fail of yesterday (I cooked my eggs accidentally. So I had cream puff paste with scrambled eggs. Gross.) I decided to bake something that I knew I wouldn't screw up. I had come across this recipe in my Better Homes & Gardens cookbook that I received as a wedding gift. It was fast and easy and omgomgomg. It is AMAZING.




Low-Fat Apple Coffee Cake

2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
Few dashes of nutmeg (I omitted because I'm NOT a fan)
1 1/2 cups small diced apple (Peeled & cored, obviously)
1/4 cup beaten egg (About 1 large egg)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (I used walnuts)
1/4 cup applesauce

Topping
1/4 packed light brown sugar (I used dark because that was all I had!)
1 Tbsp all purpose flour
1 Tbsp whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp cold butter, cubed (I used reduced fat butter spread & it worked perfectly)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (again, I used walnuts)

Preheat oven to 350F (177C). Spray 9 inch round pan with cooking spray. Set aside.

Combine flours, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg with a whisk. (I sieved it all together and I always think that it comes out more fluffy than using a whisk!) Set aside. 

Combine apples, egg, sugar, nuts and applesauce. Then add in the flour mixture! It is a very thick mixture, so don't worry. Pour it into the pan & smooth with a spatula.

In a separate bowl make the topping by combining the brown sugar, flours, and cinnamon. Then cut in the butter with a fork or a pastry blender. It should be crumbly. Then mix in the nuts and sprinkle across the top of the cake. 

Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick (or in my case the wooden end of an extra long match) comes out clean. It's super tasty all on it's own but you could throw a little bit of low-fat vanilla ice cream on the side! MMMM. 



If you make it let me know what you think! It is unclear as to whether I'm going to be able to save any for PB to have when he gets home. It is seriously the best coffee cake I've ever had. Seriously. 

Have you made any tasty treats lately?
RECIPE ME!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Save Low-Fat Apple Coffee Cake: MAKE. THIS. NOW. on social network:

Subscribe To RSS

Sign up to receive latest news