Gotta Get Something Off My Chest...


I have something to say about this whole Jessica Simpson debacle. It may be a little controversial, but I feel like I need to say my piece and well, it is my blog. I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way so before I start, I'd like to point out that I am approximately 40 lbs overweight and a former dancer - constantly trying to lose and get more in shape - therefore, I don't agree with anyone criticizing anyone's weight! No exceptions!
With that said...
I recently heard on CNN that in preparation for The Dukes of Hazard (see picture above) due to a contract that she signed, Jessica Simpson dieted and worked out hard 2 to 2 1/2 hours every day with a trainer because she signed up to look that way for the film (and the hefty paycheck too I'm sure).
She also did the video These Boots Are Made For Walkin where she proceeded to prance her newly skinny tone and sexy bod around in a bikini - the video was so sexual that it was banned in several countries according to wikipedia.
Having said all that - here's my 2 cents, like it or not:
When Jessica Simpson (and many other movie stars) did this rigorous workout regime for her latest project, she sold all the normal gals in the world up the river. But she didn't say, "No, I'll play Daisy Duke just the way I am!" she signed up for it (I'm sure she had to) and by doing so, she said it's okay and this is the way sexy women should look. Having done that, I feel like she opened the door for criticism. If she played the game and consented to having to look a certain way to be considered desirable, shouldn't it just be understood that if she didn't look the same way, the people who wouldn't have hired her or wouldn't have watched Dukes of Hazard would be taking numbers to criticize her? Everyone is very upset because Jessica Simpson is being held to a standard that she helped to create... It seems a bit hypocritical... that's all I'm saying.
Again, I'm not saying it's right to criticize anyone's weight and I don't agree with it. I just think she has a lot of fame and power - she's a role model and she's setting an example whether she wants to or not. And she gave into the pressure to get thin for her films, fueling the fire of criticism for all normal girls all over.
I'd also like to point out that I can't remember people being very upset when Britney Spears was criticized for having her gut hang out at the disgrace that was her Gimme More VMA's performance - everyone jumped on the bandwagon and made fun of her cause she was crazy and totally out of it! And she had just had two kids! I just feel like this whole situation has been blown out of proportion cause JS wore some bad mom jeans and there's not much more to say about her cause she hasn't been doing a lot lately!
I hope you all are enjoying your Friday!!! I'm done with my venting now!
xoxo,
Pink Julep

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Save Gotta Get Something Off My Chest... on social network:

Subscribe To RSS

Sign up to receive latest news